Time to draw on my law enforcement experience again. This post is directed towards parents (and Grandparants etc). Do you have a missing child kit? All parents should have one tucked away and it’s not a bad idea for you to give one to any other relative that your child visits regularly.
A missing child kit will reduce your stress if your child ever goes missing. You will already have everything you need together in one place to take with you to the police department if you need to file a missing child alert. At the very least your missing child kit should include:
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate
- For infants you should have a footprint card, for older children a fingerprint card
- List of friends with their phone numbers
- A recent photo-less than 6 months old
- Physical Description of your child like Scars, Birthmarks etc
- Any additional personal information you think important including medical conditions.
Remember to keep the information updated! The more detailed information you have, the better!
All of this information will be used by the police to place a missing child alert. Missing children are placed in a nationwide computer system along with any additional information you can give them. This alert is usually known as an Amber Alert. The sooner the Amber Alert is placed in the system the sooner law enforcement agencies will be notified to look for your child.
If you don’t have a fingerprint card on your child, call your local police department. In most cases they will gladly fingerprint your child.